Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Practice Makes Perfect

Adam's class went of a field trip to the fire station in December. On that field trip the fire fighters told the children to have their bedroom windows accessible in case of a fire. I have heard this before. Adam has a very small bedroom and he also has bunk beds. The beds fit best across the window. I have thought of the beds blocking the window many times, but would just pray that the Lord would protect us, and moved on. After Adam heard this bit of advice, he would often say to us, "I need to be able to get to my window." Yes, I agreed, we did need to do something about that. Well, today was the day. Mike and I rearranged his room so that the window was easily accessible in the event of a fire.

This afternoon, I walked by Adam's room and he has his blinds pulled up and is fiddling with his window. I asked him what he was doing. He replied, "practicing in case of fire. I wasn't going to jump out." Let me say he chose a day to practice when there are inches of snow on the ground, windy (so the snow is blowing!) and it is a balmy 28 degrees out (Aunt Helen, I think that is -2 C for you). I told him I did not think this was the best day to be practicing.

He is right, again, he should know how to open the windows. I think we will do it on a warmer day!

No comments:

Post a Comment