Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Chef-In The Making

Austin has decided that he wants to learn how to cook. I am thrilled with this idea! Not only is it an important life skill, but that also means I can give him more responsibility. I told him I would teach him to cook, but he had to show me he was ready by helping me with the clean up. Up to this point he would "help" me by dumping ingredients in a bowl and helping to stir, then he would be off to play-until it was taste testing time. Now, he wants to do it all!

One day last week, he decided that he wanted scrambled eggs for breakfast, but HE wanted to do it. He cracked the eggs in a bowl, looked for shell (he didn't have any), scrambled them, then poured them into the skillet, and stirred them (I was, of course, looking over his shoulder the entire time!) . He acted like these were the best eggs he'd ever had!

Today is Tuesday. At our house, Tuesday is pancake day. Today, I did not make the pancakes, I just supervised. He mixed up the batter, and poured it on the griddle, then flipped them.

He did a really good job. Austin was very thoughtful, and remembered that Adam likes "baby" pancakes, so he made him 4. And he only touched the griddle with his finger once.


The pancakes turned out great! The ones that I had were done and everything (that was my biggest fear, they would all be raw in the middle). Good job, Austin!

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear about boys learning how to cook. It has been such a blessing to me to have Matt being willing to, and enjoying to cook.

    ReplyDelete