Saturday, August 22, 2009

My Boys Really Make Me Think!

Before having children, I would have never dreamed what kinds of questions they would ask (or how I would struggle to answer at times)

The other day, Austin was drawing a picture. When he finished he showed it to me. I said, "it looks like a DNA strand." Austin asked, "What's that?" So, I explained that DNA makes up who you are. It makes your hair whatever color it is, it makes your eyes their color...." Austin thought for a moment and asked, "can you live without DNA?" Well, honestly, I had never thought of that. I answered by saying, "well, I don't think so, because you have DNA when you are born and it makes you who you are, if you don't have it you are not alive."

Today for supper we had a sliced nectarine on the table. Adam was very happily eating the slices when he asked, "What is this called?" I said, "these are nectarines." He replied with, "It looks like a peach, it tastes like a peach, why is it not a peach?" Well, my dear child it is not a peach because it is a nectarine. I really did not know how to answer him!

My boys are really good at making me think outside my usual box, and stretching me so that I can give them proper answers. Now, I am off to look up nectarines in the World Book!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I looked it up in the World Book. The only difference between a nectarine and a peach is the skin. But for myself I like a nectarine better, but they are both good. Adam keep your Mom on her toes. Had he not made that comment I wouldn't have looked it up in the World Book, so now we are all more informed. Mamaw Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is right on. Peaches have fuzzy skin, and nectarines have smooth skin--both are scrumptious in my book. Good job, Betty! :)

    ReplyDelete