Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Love When...

...my boys are filled with so much excitement that they talk and talk. And their brother is sitting right beside him, waiting for him to take a moment to breathe so that he can start with his story!

My boys are doing the enrichment program, through our school system, this week. Austin is doing "Chef in the making" and Adam is doing "Adventures in Science."

Austin's teachers sent home an itinerary for the week. So, I knew that Monday they would be baking bread. Tuesday they were doing vegetables. They went to the Farmer's Market and bought the veggies then went to a restaurant to make pizza. They also made salad dressing to bring home. Wednesday was eggs. They went to a local farm to learn about chickens. Then they went back and made deviled eggs. Today they are working on Appetizers and Desserts. They are starting to prep food for the "meal" they are going to serve the parents tomorrow.

So, I knew that Austin went to the farm yesterday. When he got home I was asking about his field trip. He started to tell me about it, and Adam chimed in..."I went on a field trip too!"

My first thought was, "What?? Not according to the field trip paper that came home. You went to the recycling center, and on Friday you go to the park." So he started to tell me about it. He said that he dipped his fingers in some water and butterflies landed on his hand. Then he told me about this underground slide they had. I was pretty sure I knew where this was, but decided to ask his teachers today. I was right, then I found out that they also went to the arboretum and saw turtles and frog. What a fun surprise! Sounded like a great trip.

During this time, when one was talking you could tell the other was waiting for a moment to pounce in and tell more of his day. It was somewhat like a tennis match--back and forth, back and forth.

Then at supper, Adam said, "Let's play the food chain game. We will start with frogs" So we named an animal that would eat the frog, then an animal that might eat that animal, and so on" Then Adam said, "Now, what would happen if we took the frog out. What would happen?" I don't think he realized how much he sounded just like his teacher :) "There would be soooo many bugs!"

The great thing is that they boys are having so much fun, I really don't think they know how much they are learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment