Thursday, March 18, 2010

Talking With My Boys

Supper was interesting tonight. Mike had Parent/Teacher Conferences until this evening, so it was just me and the boys at the table. I thought this would be the opportune time to review the memory work that Adam's Sunday School class is trying to learn. I said the verse and Adam repeated it. Then he told me, "Be sure to remember that I forget quickly." I had to think, "Okay, but you won't be able to use that excuse for very long!" Then he said, "I have an idea, I will just follow what the other kids are saying. I will say it so fast, you won't know that I am following them." My thought was, "Oh dear, this is NOT going to work!"

This past Sunday was our first Sunday at this church. The boys were very excited after Sunday School because they did feet washing (Adam keeps talking about hand washing also). That was something new to them, and it went with the story they studied in Sunday School.

After we finished the conversation about the memory work, we started to talk about the feet washing, and the Bible story it goes with. I decided I would try to find it in the Bible so that we could read the story. I was having trouble putting my finger on it. I knew that time was short, because Austin was starting piano lessons today. So, I told Austin that I would get the other Bible that had a concordance. I was explaining all this too him and he said, "I know, when we go to my piano lesson, we can ask Ms. Diane where it is in the Bible." I told him, "I did not think that was a good use of her time, when we were suppose to be doing a lesson. Besides, I'm quite sure that we can find this ourselves." (just a note--we did find the story) I was very impressed in how Austin retold the story and some of the questions that he had about the story. He is really starting to think about what he is hearing.

I really enjoy the conversations that I have with the boys. I am still never quite sure what Adam will say, but I have noticed that Austin is seeming to understand and converse in a more serious manner (sometimes! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment