Thursday, November 12, 2009

Kissable Progress

For a while now, Adam has not wanted to be kissed. At first it was because they spread germs. Then at some point he said he was waiting for Lucy to kiss him first, (I was second in line!). This has been difficult for me, but Mike and I have been known to sneak into his room after he is asleep and give him a quick kiss.

Mike and Adam have lunch at the same time. They are at different tables, but can see each other. They often wave, and Mike will come to Adam's table and talk to him a bit. Yesterday, Mike told me that they started this "game." Mike said he blew a kiss to Adam and Adam would then wipe it off his cheek. Then, Mike blew 2 kisses to Adam, and he had to wipe both cheeks. This progressed for a while until Mike started to blow the kisses up to the ceiling so that they would ricochet down, and Adam had to wipe the top of his head. They played this game until Adam got up from his table to avoid being hit by kisses. Mike had to go tell Adam that he needed to stay seated, so the game was over.

Last night, as I was putting Adam to bed, he gave me a kiss and I told him how I would love to give him a kiss. I explained that a kiss is a gesture of love. I told him that I would only kiss him very quickly on his cheek. He thought for a moment, and said okay. So, for the first time in probably over a year I was able to kiss him--without him wiping it off (while still awake :) After I kissed him he looked at me and said, "huh, that wasn't so bad!" Of Course Not!! Needing to make up for lost time, I kissed him when he got up this morning, then he gave Mike permission to kiss his cheek, then I got to give him another kiss before he left the house.

I'm sure he will have plenty of kisses for his wife, and he probably won't care about the germs!

1 comment: