Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Austin's Time At Camp

Austin spent Wednesday through Friday last week at camp. He has been looking forward to this for some already. The campers were able to choose a cabin mate that they would like to be with. Austin and Shannon, his cousin, signed up together.

Once we got there and got signed in, we found his cabin. It located near the dining area, near the tether ball, near the climbing wall, and near the ga-ga court--really it was in the middle of everything, very convenient for the boys. We went in the cabin, he chose his bunk and we set up his sleeping bag.


Then he was off to play!

Somehow, Carol got them to stop long enough for a picture!

I did not sleep the best while Austin was at camp. I would wake up and wonder if he was cold (there were some cold nights! One night it got to 48 degrees-brrrrrr)

Friday came, and Carol and I rode together to get our boys. There was a program, so we met them were the program was going to be. When his cabin walked in, this is the Austin I saw-

He matured quite a bit over the few at camp! They had a "carnival" Friday morning. Face painting was one of the activities. Almost everyone had a beard-even some girls!

At the program they sang some of the songs they had been singing while at camp. There were several that I remember singing at camp as a child. Austin thought that was amazing that I knew some of the songs, and they sang them "back then."

One of the first things I noticed about Austin, was that he was wearing the same clothes I had taken him in on Wednesday. He did not change clothes while there. He could not find the bags of clothes that I packed for him. I had gone as far as to pack a gallon size Ziploc bag with clean clothes, socks, and underwear for each day, plus an extra--just in case. Oh well, we had clean clothes for this week!

Austin told me, one day they hiked, and had a picnic lunch--I'm not sure where they hiked to or what the bathroom was exactly like there. Austin needed to use the bathroom. When he got there he asked his friend what was on the seat. His friend said he thought it was a rope. Nope--It was a SNAKE! I think Austin handled that better than I would have!

We then went back to the cabin to gather their things. Carol got a picture of the boys and their counselors.

Both Counselors were named Mike. However, the one on the left had the nickname of Biscuit. I guess that made it easier to tell them apart, if nothing else.

Adam missed Austin! He would ask, "When is Austin coming home?"


He made him this card, probably before Austin even got to camp on Wednesday.

Austin had a great time! He is already talking about next year. He wants to do the 1/2 week again. He is afraid he will miss me if he does a full week. I know I would miss him!

No comments:

Post a Comment