Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day Tea

Earlier this week I wrote about getting an invitation in the mail to a Mother's Day Tea in Adam's Sunday School class. The tea was wonderful!

At my seat I found this beautiful picture, in a beautiful frame, of a beautiful child!
Adam was very intrigued by sugar cubes. He had a small cup of tea, and I think he ended up putting 2 cubes in!! You can see in this picture, behind the sugar cubes, she had real china set out for the tea. The children did great with this.



The food was fantastic! Adam took a picture of some of it.


On the top tier there were chocolate wafers that the teacher's husband picked up in Germany, the middle tier was some sort of pastry dough, with pudding, the topped with a blueberry and a slice of strawberry. The bottom tier was something like a cinnamon bun, rolled up with icing. It was all very yummy!

During the church service, Austin became very sad that Adam had a tea and he did not (he did have a tea 2 years ago, when Ms. Diane was his Sunday School teacher. However, that did not comfort him today). He started making plans for a tea. He made a menu. He made a guest list. He even wrote out "units" we needed. (He told me these were things that we do not eat) I looked at my calendar and told him we could fit it in in about 2 weeks. He wrote me a note and said that he wanted to have a Mother's Day Tea, so it had to be today. I sat there thinking, I wanted to clean my house today, but this seemed way more important. The more we talked about it, the more I decided, "Yes, this does need to happen today!" We had decided that we were going to surprise Mamaw and have a Mother's Day Tea waiting for her when she came home from work.


After church we stopped at home and I picked up several items that we had thought of that would work for this tea.


After lunch, Austin helped me clear the table and get it ready for the big event. I started to put plates together and put them in the fridge. I even got out the China that Mom and Dad got as a wedding gift almost 41 years ago! We called Carol and invited her and her boys. Things were really coming together.


We made it more of an early supper than just a tea. We had sandwiches, chips and salsa, veggies, watermelon, strawberries, cookies, and pretzels dipped in chocolate.



Everyone seemed to get enough to eat. More importantly, everyone had a good time.


We really surprised Mamaw!


Mamaw and her 4 boys!



Mom and 2 of her girls.

(Lana, we missed you.
We'll plan one sometime when you are up here)

Happy "grand"Mother's Day, Mom!

2 comments:

  1. Its good thing I didn't decide to go to WalMart after work seeing Adam was waiting for 2 hours before I got there. I was tired and headed home and found Carol and Amy's cars both at my house. I thought, "What is going on?" I walked in to hear a big Happy Mothers Day and Adam was handing out snow flakes he had made for everyone. We all found our place at the table which had place cards to show us where to sit. Adam got some flowers in from outside. The boys were all very well mannered seeing they had been drilled as to how to act. The food was very good and most of it came out of my refridgerator but was very nicely laid out on plates and very festive. All of us drank hot tea even the boys using china cups. What a great surprise! Thanks to Austin for the great idea and for the work that was put into it. Just wish Lana and Grace could have been with us. Thank you very much, Mamaw Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful idea. I am so glad that you were willing to put off "chores" in order to make memories!

    ReplyDelete