Thursday, July 28, 2011

House Saga

The spring when Mike and I were engaged, we found a home that was a very reasonable price. We bought this home and said, "This will be our starter home." We have been in our "starter" home for 12 years now. At times, I thought this starter home had become our "forever" home.

However, I do love to look at homes. I love to look on the internet and see what local houses are for sale. I did not think that we were at a place to buy right now, but I enjoyed looking to see what was out there, and dreaming about one day...

Recently, I was going through a neighborhood, and I saw a house for sale. I knew this house. I used to babysit the children that grew up in that house. I decided for "old times sake" I would go home and look it up.

I went home and looked it up immediately. The price was out of my "price range" (especially since we were not looking). I found it fun to watch, and look, but I was not serious.

I did find it hard at times to be in our "starter home." We had run out of space! There was one day last week that I needed to get something out of Adam's closet. I pulled one thing, and an avalanche came tumbling down on me. I sat there in this huge mess, and cried! (We needed a larger home!)

I don't exactly remember how this happened, but on Saturday Mike and I looked at the house on line. I was very excited about the possibility of having a bigger home. Mike wondered about this or that (you can't tell everything from pictures). Mike and I decided to schedule a showing for Sunday afternoon. As we talked more on Saturday evening Mike got more excited, I gained more concerns. We decided that we would go through with the showing for practice (for when we were ready to actually buy). When we were on our way, Mike quoted a number and said, "that is the top number I will offer for this house." However, we were not going to buy so there was no worry there.

We didn't want to make the boys excited about this since we were sure we were not going to buy this house. We told my parents that we wanted to go on a date since had a gift card. Mom said she would pick the boys up after work, so we had time to go eat, then went to the showing.

Once in the house, we both fell in love with this house!! As we talked, we were told that the price was coming down very close to what we said our offer would be. We left and said, we need to buy this house.

We went to get the boys and disclosed to Mom and Dad what we had done. We wanted their opinion on this property. Soon I was on the phone asking if we could see the house again. We were told to "come on over."

We took the boys and they loved the house as well! They chose their rooms. They were very excited.

Monday I went to the bank to see what our numbers looked like. I gave them the worst possible situation. They worked the numbers and we thought this is not the best situation, but we can make it work.

Tuesday, the realtor came over to tell us what our house was worth. Later that day, we were given the amount. I knew of someone who was looking for a house to buy in that price range. I called her and told her what I knew. She was very excited, so was her husband.

I couldn't believe how things were going, things seemed so perfect. Almost unbelievable, too perfect! I just kept praying that whatever happened that it would be the Lord's will, not mine.

We invited the people I knew over to see the house. They seemed to think that it was perfect! They went home and contacted their realtor.

Wednesday, we went to the Real Estate office and put a contract on the house we wanted. However, we made it contingent on the sale of our home.

Thursday, our realtor came over to take pictures for the listing of our current home. He put a key box out for showings, and put a sign in the yard. He left our home by 9 am.

Around 11 we got a call that an offer had been made. We went back and forth a few times. By 3 pm we had come to an agreement. Mike and I were soon at the office again to sign papers for the contract on our house.

The house that we are buying (if all goes well) is only about 1 mile from our home. It is in the same school district, however the home is a little more than double the size of our home now.

Mike and I feel that this truly must be God's will. It is truly amazing how the numbers lined up. The buyer was right there. Their numbers lined up. So far, everything has gone so smoothly!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's SO exciting!!! How wonderful of God to open the doors so quickly and reassuringly for you! I can't wait to hear and see more. Pics, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a whirlwind of a week! But I am happy for them and hope that all will continue to work out. I think the back yard is big enough for Amy to let me put a rhubarb plant in. I know she doesn't rhubarb so I don't have to worry about her using too much of it. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, That is so Awesome. God works in amazing
    ways. We will miss you this summer. We need to get down there soon.
    Delise

    ReplyDelete