Friday, May 27, 2011

Zoo Field Trip

At the school that my boys attend, 1st graders get to take a field trip to the D.C. zoo.

Yesterday, was our zoo day! I was able to go with Adam. We were at school by 6:40 a.m. and were soon loaded onto a bus. I thought, earlier in the week, that we might have rain. We did not have any rain, but it was HOT!

The pandas thought it was hot!

The lions thought it was hot!

And the tiger thought it was hot!


I was just glad they decided to rest were we could still see them.



We were able to go into some air conditioned buildings and still see animals. We saw this pretty little bird in the bird house.

As we were going from one place to another, we passed a small pond. There were several ducks on this pond with lots of little ducks. Even though we can see baby ducks here, they are always cute!



We went by an exhibit of a Wattled Crane. He just happened to be walking by the edge. It was great to get an up close look at him.


We went into the reptile house. They had all kinds of snakes, and creepy things. They also had some pretty neat looking lizards (I'm sure I would not think they were so neat if they were loose, however there was a nice piece of glass between us.)

I loved the coloring on this lizard.



This one was just huge!


They also had turtles. These turtles had really long necks. Some of the children I had thought they looked like snake necks.



These were just an amazing size.


Adam wanted to fly by a lot of these exhibits, because he was hot and tired. He had to slow down because there were 4 other children and 2 adults that he needed to wait on. However, by waiting he was able to see some of the cool animals that he would have missed otherwise.


We knew the children were extremely hot. So the other mom and I agreed that we would try to find something to cool them down a bit. They had an ice cream vending machine, but it was $3.50 or so for each ice cream bar. We decided maybe getting water and letting them stand in a mister for a little would work. We found a water vending machine but, again, it was $3.00 for each bottle of water. As I walked away from the machine telling the other mom what the price was, a lady was walking by me (and was pulling a wagon) and heard me telling her this. She asked if I would like some free water. She said that she had been pulling water bottles around in wagon and she would be happy to get rid of it. Every got a nice cold drink of water. Then they went and stood in a mister. We all seemed much happier then. I don't know who that lady was, but she a blessing to our group!


I decided when we got on the bus that Adam and I needed to have a picture taken together.

I did it myself. It's not perfect, but that's okay!


The bus driver gave a quick driving tour of D.C. He took us by the Washington Monument, we saw the White House from distance, the Capitol building, the Lincoln Memorial, and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial.


Adam was asleep on my lap before the tour started. We may just have to go to D.C. again to be able to see these things when he is awake.

It was an exhausting day, but we had a wonderful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment