Thursday, May 12, 2011

Spring Recital

Adam has been taking piano lessons this year. He was not able to go to the winter recital, due to us all being sick. However, Tuesday was the spring recital.

Adam wanted to wear clothes that were "just right." He picked out one of Mike's ties that had a keyboard and music notes on it. We built an outfit around that.

He was about to leave the house without his music. He insisted that he did not need it. I grabbed the music and we went for the recital. He even told my mom that he might even do the recital blindfolded.

When he was going up on stage I handed him the books, and he reluctantly took them.

He played his first piece, one that he has had memorized for some time. He did a great job!

His teacher had, apparently, been talking to all the children about what it means to be a composer. Some of the children wanted to compose their own music for the recital. Adam chose to compose a song called Dreamland. He started to play it correctly, then lost his place (note: he is still not looking at his music!), so he made up something. I guess the good thing is that since he is the composer, no one could tell him it was wrong.

Adam's third and final song was Our God Is An Awesome God. He did not have this one memorized, but he was trying. He got a fairly good start then lost where he was. He played some filler music, and ended it on the right note.

As I listened to him play, the mother in me wanted to run on stage, pull the music and show him where he was. But, I didn't.

Adam never seemed phased by this at all! He sat with us and after a few of the other students played, he lay on the chairs and fell asleep.

For a first recital, and the situation he was in, I think he handled it with grace!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah Adam !!! I was proud of you at the recital: You played one song by memory, you composed your own song, and you kept going on another song even when you were
    not sure of a few notes.
    Victory for you! Enjoy your summer. I hope you can keep playing your recitals songs this summer. I enjoyed you as a student.
    -Diane Burkholder

    ReplyDelete