Saturday, July 7, 2012

One Last Good-bye

Friday we were going to pick up Austin from camp.  I gave Adam the choice to come with me, or to stay at home with Mike.  Mike had a couple of things do to, but it would be much cooler at home than at camp--it was his choice.  It really did not take him long to decide that he was definitely  coming with me.  

We got there and we went to the picnic deck, where the program was going to be held.  Adam was off and running before I knew what was going on.  He had found Caamon!  He ran over and gave him a BIG hug.  Then it seemed that every time Caamon (or Jackson for that matter)went by Adam would wrap his arms around him.  I explained to Adam that they have kids this week and they need to watch those kids and take care of them, just like they took care of him.

After the program we were to go to the cabin to collect our child's things.  I was talking to Austin's counselors and Adam kept tapping me.  When I had a break in the conversation I asked Adam what he needed.  He pointed to the cabin next door.  Caamon was in that cabin.  I told him that before we left he could go say good-bye--one last time.  He was very nervous that Caamon would leave before he got over there to talk to him.  I told Adam, "Caamon needed to take care of the 8 or so children that were in his cabin.  He would be there for a while yet.  Please don't worry."  

The second I gave him the "okay" he was over there by Caamon.  He gave him a hug, and Caamon lifted him into his lap.  I told Caamon that I'm sure he does not realize the impression he has made on this little boy.  I told him that Adam is not my "huggy" child--I have to ask for hugs, and often they are "limp dishrag" hugs.  Caamon's eyes got big and his mouth dropped open.  He could not believe that was the same little boy that hugged him whenever he passed by.  At 18, I wonder if Caamon can even comprehend the impact he is making on children.  Thankfully, it is a positive impact!

While Adam was in Caamon's lap, I had to get one last picture.


How cute is that?

When we were leaving, Adam wanted to go back and ask Caamon if he would be doing 1/2 week camp or full week camp next year.  (I'm sure he was trying to make his plans accordingly.)  I assured Adam that counselors that are there for a summer, usually do both.

I can honestly say, I have never seen Adam so drawn to someone.  I'm glad that he was drawn to someone like Caamon!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy, I love it!!!!!!! Again, thank you so much for sharing!!!! What a cute picture and sweet, encouraging blog post!! I had Caamon read it before he jumped in the car to drive off for another week of camp....he beamed and was so encouraged. :)

    One thing I have learned from parenting (and from being around my friend's children and church family) is that EVERY kid, no matter how young or old, or whether they are a "good" kid or a "struggling" kid....they all need words of affirmation and encouragement. Just a kind word can be so meaningful and powerful. So, thank you for being an encourager today! And of course...whenever a kid is encouraged...the momma is encouraged too!

    What a great thing to record your life with your family on your blog! That is awesome!!! That Adam is such a cutie pie!!! So glad Austin had a good week at camp too!

    Blessings!!
    Crystal

    ReplyDelete