Friday, April 5, 2013

Wiser Than He Knows

Tonight as I was putting Adam to bed, he looked at me so seriously and said, "How old  do you have to be in order to be adopted?"

I sat there and pondered this question for a moment.  What exactly was he asking?  I said, "Adam, children are adopted at all ages, I'm not sure what your looking for or if this answers your question."

He said, "No, I mean when they put water on your head.

"Ahhhhhh, you mean baptized."  I explained that people get baptized at all different ages, it just depends on when you are ready to do it.

"How do you know when your ready?"

"Well, continue your devotions, continue your memory work, and pray.  God will tell your heart when your ready.  You will know."

As I was leaving his room and turning out the light, it occurred to me that he had said adoption but meant baptism.  However, the irony is that by being baptized your being adopted into God's family.

Maybe he wasn't wrong with his words.

2 comments: