Thursday, June 7, 2012

A Visit To The Children's Museum

 One day this week, Lana and I decided that we should do something that afternoon.  After talking about a couple of options we decided that we would go to the local children's museum.  The museum had moved to a new building within the past few years.  Austin had never been, and was anxious to go.


 Inside the museum they have a real ambulance.  The lights work and you can pretend to drive it.



Adam and Grace did a bike race.  Adam won due to the fact that Grace's feet barely touched the pedals.  As you pedal lights come up on the board ahead of you and you can "ride" your way around Virginia.


In the theater, Adam fixed Grace's face paint to be just so.

 They have a child sized kitchen with all kinds of ingredients and things you might need in the kitchen (including a "washer and dryer")

Austin enjoyed playing with the largest "Operation" board I have ever seen.  He enjoyed taking the paddles and saying "CLEAR!"  He has quite the sense of humor.

They had a desk set up like the local TV station.  Not only could they sit at the desk, but...
They could watch themselves on the screen.  This is actually the green screen monitor.  Austin is giving the weather.
They had some green material that Adam like to drape over himself and say, "floating head!" 
They had a car that they could work on.  Austin is doing something with the tailpipe.  Adam is removing the license plate (not sure I want to know his plans with that!)
Austin is doing something with the care fluids.  (Still not ready to let him work on my car :)

At one point, I wanted to show Austin something.  He said, "just a minute. I'm making _________"  And I really did not hear what he was making, but I thought he said caffeine.  I looked and saw this...
So, I asked, "what did you say you were making?"  He looked at me and said, "Caffeine."
Sure enough, he made the caffeine molecule.  He loved it!
They all loved playing with the smart board.  They have these at school and probably know more about what can be done on these things than I know.
They have an X-ray board (I'm not sure that is what it is called)  Austin played Dr. and looked intently at the x-rays.
Adam studying what he has under the microscope.

I love seeing these boys in lab coats. 

They had so much fun, and actually learned a lot while playing and having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment