Sunday, June 24, 2012

11

Austin turned 11 this week.

The plan was that I did not go to work that morning.  We would take Adam to camp.  And the whole afternoon and evening would be all about Austin.

However, things do not always go as planned...

We came home from taking Adam to camp.  I was doing a little work around the house, and Austin walked through the living room and said, "It is so cold in here."  Now, let me back up.  Sunday we did not get to stay at church because Adam was "so cold" at church.  As it turned out he had a fever.  He was finally over it and well enough to go to camp.  Now, Austin is saying it is cold.  I immediately took his temperature, just as I thought--a fever.

It broke my heart to tell him that we would not be going out that night.  He was terribly upset because this was "his day."  As I tended to Austin that afternoon and evening, it occurred to me that he was sick on his birthday 11 years ago.  This time however, it was only a fever.  I could cuddle him and care for him.  That time, he was fighting for his life--we did not know what was wrong, and there was NOTHING I could do for my baby!  I would take a fever over that any day!

It's interesting, every year around his birthday I get particularly emotional.  I guess it mainly comes from having a rocky start.  I start thinking about different parts of the 2 weeks that he was in the hospital.  This year it occurred to me that when he was in the hospital I asked the Dr. if he thought Austin might make it to the age of 5.  I started to think about it, he has doubled that plus 1 year!  I'm not sure what made me ask about 5, but that seemed like such a significant age at that time.

Back to this year....Austin was able to celebrate his birthday the next day with Mike.  I, however, was sick at that time and had to bow out.



Austin, you have grown into a fine young man.  You have a very gentle heart.  I am very proud to say that I am your mother.  Daddy and I love you very much.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Austin! I hope that you had a special time (even if it was a day late).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Austin, time has gone by fast. I know it will continue. You are growing up fast. Love Mamaw

    ReplyDelete