Saturday, October 6, 2012

Biking

This past week was "walk to school week" for our school system.  During this week they encourage kids to get extra exercise by walking or rolling to school.  Austin's school is not close enough to walk, and we do not have enough time to ride bike with Austin and get to work on time.

We do, however, have a neighbor that has a sporadic work schedule.  He is home some day and gone on others.  He has a daughter that goes to the same school as Austin, but in another grade.  We have been doing some carpooling.  Wednesday he took Austin and Carrie to school.  Wednesday night Austin said, "Joel said I could bike with them to school tomorrow."  I called to make sure he understood this correctly.  Yes, Joel had said that Austin could join them, but his daughter, Carrie, decided not to ride.  So, as it turned out it was Austin, Joel, and his youngest daughter, Leah.  That night Austin said, "it was AWESOME!!"

He was very happy when on Thursday night Joel called to invite him again.  He was on his bike early, riding up and down the road, waiting...

This time, Carrie joined them.  Again, Austin had a great time.


I am so thankful that Austin was able to do this.  He would not have been able to, if it would have been just Mike and myself.  I am so thankful to have a neighbor that is willing to take Austin to do things like this that we cannot do.

**side note**On Friday I didn't have to be at work until 9.  So, I told Austin that I would be willing to ride with them.  All he had to say was, "oh, ok"  not really excited as I had hoped.  Friday morning, I asked if he WANTED me to come along.  He said, "you don't have to."  I think he enjoys this time being "independent" and he seems to enjoy this time with Joel--I think Joel is seen as much "cooler" than me.   It is really fun to see Austin growing up and being able to do things like this.

1 comment:

  1. Austin, it is so good to see you riding your bike to the middle school. I am so proud of you, adjusting so well. It is very different from elementary school. Love, Mamaw

    ReplyDelete