Wednesday, August 15, 2012

5K

This summer Lana encouraged me to do something I never thought I would do. RUN. I had done this a few times with her and she started to casually mention that there was going to be a 5K near my house--"we should do that," she would say. It took a little convincing, but I finally agreed to it.

Over the next few weeks, I would run, run a little longer, train this way and that. The day of the race I felt ready.

During the weeks that I trained, I had come up with some goals that I wanted to accomplish during the race. 1. I wanted to finish. 2. I did not want to be the last one to finish. 3. I didn't think I could do this one, but I wanted to finish the race in a time that was under my age. (37 minutes).
While running the race I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure that other people were behind me (goal #2), if too many were passing me I would get nervous and keep going even though I really wanted to stop, if only for a quick breather.

I could see the finish line (goal #1), others were still behind me (goal #2), I had NO idea what my time was so goal #3 was still up in the air.

As I got closer to the line I could see...
Adam waiting ever so patiently for me to finish.


As I crossed the line, he went under the rope,


and came to me with open arms.




I loved the end to that race. I will continue to run if that is my reward at the finish line!


**I did make goal #3. I finished in 35:51. I had 1 minute 9 seconds to spare.


1 comment:

  1. That is so good! I also love that Adam was there to greet you after crossing the line. I also am surprized that you trained and proud of you accomplishing your goals. Is it too late in like for me to try such an event? Mom

    ReplyDelete