Sunday, July 13, 2014

MTC Academy

A year or so ago, my sister told me of this program she had signed her son up for.  Austin was not yet of an age that he could get into the program, but as soon as he could I wanted to sign him up!

Our local Vocational School has an 8 day "camp".  The child can choose from cosmetology, to welding, vet assistant, engineering, fire and rescue, or visual arts and 3D projects.  I'm sure there are more that I am missing.

Austin chose the Visual Arts and 3D projects.  This did not surprise me at all-it is right up his alley!

On the first day of this program we happened to be talking about what he wanted to do when he grew up.  He told me he thought a science teacher is what he was going to go for.  When I picked him up, one of the first things he said was, "I changed my mind--No more science teacher--I want to do this!"

They did several sketches and had them printed on a 3D printer.

 He also designed a few short cartoons (maybe 2-3 seconds) but I was very impressed at what he could do! 

The last day they had the parents come and see what they were doing in the classrooms, then there was a short ceremony.
 Each child got a certificate for being part of their program.

They also got t-shirts. 

Then after the program there was a picnic for everyone. 

I asked Austin if he wanted to do this again next year.  Without any thought he responded "YES!"  I was surprised that he wants to do the exact same program as he did this year.  We will see what he thinks over the next few months until I sign him again.

If nothing else, it gives him a taste of what career opportunities there are out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment