Thursday, March 27, 2014

Reading

Last school year (when Adam was in 3rd grade), the library at his school had started a reading program at Christmas time.  The children were to read 100 books between Christmas break and the end of May.  The children who did this were rewarded with an ice cream party before school ended for the year.

I knew this seemed unrealistic for us, but I encouraged Adam to try to circle all 100 numbers on his form.  I told him, if he got all the numbers circled, I would take him to Sweet Frog (a frozen yogurt place, that has a topping bar--add as much as you want!)  He really liked that idea!  Shortly before Christmas this past year, Adam circled his 100th book!!

I told him we would make it to Sweet Frog, but I was not too motivated to go right away with snow on the ground and cold temperatures-Frozen Yogurt did not seem like a treat. 

This week Adam and I are on Spring Break.  Monday we were out running some errands and we were going to be near Sweet Frog, so I decided --TODAY IS THE DAY!!!  :)

Adam was so pleased when he heard that we were going to make it to Sweet Frog!!  He really had quite the dish of frozen yogurt, but I'd say he deserved it!


After talking about it, he decided he wants to do it again!  We are now counting the next 100 books!

No comments:

Post a Comment