Sunday, October 23, 2011

When Adam cooks...

...it is not a simple matter of putting ingredients in a bowl, mixing, pouring in a pan and baking. That would be WAY to easy!

I have a sourdough bread that I make. I feed the starter one day, that night make the dough, let it rise over night, put into loaves the next morning, then bake around supper time. This recipe is really hard to mess up (I have done it though, but it was my fault. I forgot the salt...)

Friday while we were at work and school, I fed the starter. Friday evening Adam help me make the dough. Saturday morning I showed him how the dough had risen and needed to be punched down. Then he asked, "Why? Why do you have to punch it down and let it rise again?" Well, to be honest about it, I didn't know. I just knew that is what you did when you baked bread and never questioned the theory behind it. I told him I would find out.

After he punched it down, I told him to flour his hands because the dough might be a little sticky. "What does the flour do?" I explained that the flour makes it so the dough won't stick to your hands. "How?" "Really, I do not know. I will have to find out for you." We got the dough in the pans then I was on my mission to find out this information.

I called my sister and her husband and they answered my questions. I knew that he had been interested in one chef who explained the chemistry behind baking, plus they have a good all around knowledge. :)

Last night we went to a harvest party and I was retelling my bread baking experience with Adam. She told me, "And that is why he is going to be getting paid a lot someday." If nothing else, I am learning the chemistry behind baking.

I do have to admit, his bread looks beautiful. I can't wait to try it!

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks soooo good!!! Next time you can bring me a slice of bread. You keep on learning. Love Mamaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. And there is no better way to learn than to ask questions. Keep it up.

    That bread does look good. Wish I could have some.

    ReplyDelete