Saturday, October 8, 2011

How Austin Feels

Austin has always been a child who wants to express himself through notes. When he was little (even before Kindergarten) he would tell me what he needed to tell Mike and we would write notes and put them in his mailbox at work. Sometimes the notes were lovely (I love Daddy because...) other times they were (I am so mad at Adam...) I'm sure Mike loved getting the first example, not so sure about the second!

As I was unpacking a box this morning, I found something that Austin made for Mike.

The bottom says, "What a Awsome great Dad I have." I'm not sure how he did the "#1 Dad" but it is engraved in the wood.

The other Sunday Austin wanted to know when Father's day was. I told him it is always in June, in fact sometimes it is the same day as his birthday. (in those cases Austin's birthday often overrides Father's Day. That is what happens when you become a parent.) Austin wanted to make a card for Mike. I thought is was really cute, so for memory sake, I'm going to type it in.

Dear Dad, (This is a late father's day card)
Your the best dad I ever had.
You let me go places I'm begging for (and I thank you.)
you let me go out to Klines ice cream.
And other fun stuff.
I gave you a gift.
You might not like it but just try it out and see if you like it.

**Side note**Mike is the ONLY father that Austin has ever had (just to be clear!). Secondly, I had to chuckle about the "begging" really it is just that he asks to check out new places (stores, etc.) begging makes it sound so much worse than it really it! Lastly, I love how he wrote in parenthesis "and I thank you".

I love how Austin expresses himself on paper (or wood). We do save some of these things and like to look back and see how he has grown and changed.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that Austin enjoys sharing his thoughts and feelings in written form (it makes this teachers heart happy). But even more so, I am glad that you as parents see the importance of keeping those notes. He will love looking back on them as he grows up.

    ReplyDelete