Saturday, December 3, 2011

Adam Graduated

I got this news a few months ago. It officially happened the end of October, and it has taken me this long to post this wonderful news!

ADAM HAS GRADUATED!!--from speech.

Adam had some speech issues as a young child. When Austin entered 1st grade, I was talking to his teacher about this "problem." She said, "Amy, have him evaluated for speech." She told me that her son had to do speech, she would bring her magazines to school once a week. She got to catch up on her reading while he was in speech. I started the process immediately!

I started writing the words that he said incorrectly, and how he pronounced them. About 4 months later, he entered into speech.

This was actually a fun time for him. Adam had not entered into school yet. So, we scheduled the day and time. That morning was busy, but Adam loved it. First we packed his lunch, then went to the library (he didn't want to miss story time), headed to school--Adam went to speech, I went to volunteer in Austin's class. Then we went to eat lunch with Austin.

The next year he was in Kindergarten. By that time there were only a few sounds that needed work--rather than the pages of sounds that he started with.

Adam loved his time with his speech teachers (they changed once he went to Kindergarten), they are both lovely ladies, and fun to work with. In fact, he would talk about the fun things he did with them. One time I heard Austin say, "I wish I could go to speech." Adam told him, "Just mix up some sounds..." I told him that he did not need to do that! We had a discussion afterward about that!

The funny part about him having speech in school: His teacher would have about 2 students to work with at one time. That way they could play games, it just made it more fun. When I would ask Adam how speech went, he would be sure to give me an update on the sounds that the other student was working on, and how they were doing as well.

He no longer needs to go. His speech is great! I am so impressed with these ladies that have worked with him over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment